I've spent some time teaching my kids how to fry up their own morels, grimacing at the amount of butter that goes into the pan. They had several batches to smoke up the kitchen with.
Setting out (in the hoop house), probably a little to soon as the nights are chilly yet, my beautiful tomato plants. Transplanting millions of cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprout plants. Planting some in the hoop house and saving some for the garden.
I'm hoping that one of my gardener readers ( with an amazing ability to interpret this lousy photo below) can tell me why all potting soils don't grow tomato plants the same. The sad little plant pictured below was started only a week after the 1st batch (pictured above) -in a different brand of potting soil.The seedlings stayed small, dark green with purple stems and several inches smaller than the first.
No photo, but the peppers acted the same way. But squash and the cabbage family didn't seem to be affected, growing well and fast.
Then there is homeschooling. I took off a huge bite to help a friend out and we now have an extra class mate twice a week. I'm thinking that it is a good lesson for the kids, to learn to control themselves and overcome distractions. This is the area that makes me think I bit off more than I can chew.
So for a few days of the week we have our noses in books, until I can't stand the house the way it is and then we study life skills.
Such as kitchen help and photography. I find all sorts of these pictures on my camera. So this is what goes on when I'm concentrating.
In the back of my mind I'm constantly wondering why it looks like this already, and what affect will this have on the rest of the growing season. As pretty as extremes can be at the moment, how they turn our lives keeps me pondering. I'm a farmer in my heart, and it's showing itself by being too concerned about the weather, maybe.
When I'm in the kitchen, I'm working on my bread. Looking for consistency in size, shape and flavor. Consistency is not my relation. But my intentions are to maintain a look and flavor that will bring people back to get more...yes, I want to make bread for the farmers market! I think it will add to the other things Bryon and the boys are getting into: Cutting/serving boards, spoons and benches.
Along with goats milk soap, an Old World rustic style.
~Coming Soon to Mosquito Creek Farm~
Goat's Milk Soap
Hand made in small batches to ensure quality with the best possible ingredients.
A saponified blend of goats milk, olive and coconut oils, and fine essential oils to bring a richness and rustic purity to your bath.
Our soap is gentle enough and even healing for sensitive skin with no harsh chemicals or irritating fragrances.
Face and body soaps * shaving soap
kitchen bars * facial and foot scrubs
~
Lavender
Vanilla
Oatmeal&Cinnamon
Peppermint
Lemongrass
Oatmeal&Honey
LemonPepper
It looks like you're accomplishing a lot even though you may disagree. Perhaps, you're expecting too much of yourself. Pace yourself so you'll stay healthy and well. Take care and God Bless You ....
ReplyDeleteSome of my tomatoes are still a bit purple, and I thought that it was the phosphorous deficiency as well, but I'm a member of a gardening forum, and I asked them. I had the conundrum of having several plants in the same pot of homemade compost and 3 of the 5 had purple stems, and the other 2 had potato leaves but no purple. Apparently there are some types of tomatoes that HAVE purple stems! Since the tomato seeds that I got were labeled "7 variety heirloom tomatoes" I have NO CLUE what I actually have. I hope that helps and not confuses you more! :-) You kiddos are cutie patooties tho!
ReplyDeleteThank you Suzanne for your sweet words!
ReplyDeleteAnd...I'm holding my breath, and hoping the purple stems are variety characteristic. now, why the stunted growth on some of them? Thanks for the info, TOG!