I have 5 boys. Their jeans look like this because they are boys. And I don't expect any different or any less. But I do have trouble scrubbing grass stains and gravel out of bare skinned knees, so we try to keep them covered.
This is the easiest method for patching jeans that I know of, and some of the patches have lasted through several brothers.
A friend of mine, with boys, introduced to me:
Tear Mender.
No hole too small. No rip too wide.
Tear Mender is the bomb.
Simple to do and quick:
Start by turning jeans inside out and trimming away any unwanted "fringe". My boys like fringe.
Cut a piece (inside patch) of denim that either accentuates the hole or hides it according to your preference.
Apply a thin line of Tear Mender around the edge of the hole, and very well around the edge of the patch. Add a few dashes across the middle, too.
Work quickly, this stuff dries fast and doesn't rip back off very well at all.
This photo is of an old patch, probably where I didn't reinforce the corners as well.
Tip: When you are patching knees don't just cover the ripped area. make the patch well up the thigh and down the shin. I have learned the hard way that right above the patch it will wear out quickly. This old patch wasn't big enough or reinforced enough to take the whole summer.
After gluing, let it dry for a few minutes and turn them right side out. I've done this plenty of times, with little fellas waiting in their skivvies.
See, it doesn't look too bad. The boys like them, also, because the knees are more padded. A nice job done on a small hole wouldn't even be noticeable, so get to it quickly before further washings make it fray.
I've tried hand sewing, machine sewing, broke needles, spent hours brainstorming, even took the inseams out to try and salvage a otherwise perfectly good pair of jeans. And Tear Mender lasts almost as long as all that work and takes just a few seconds to do. I have a drawer in my sewing room just for fixing jeans, so I am always prepared.
So, when zippers break? Then I cut the jeans up for patching material.
Ain't that just the bee's knees?
Linking up with Frugally Sustainable
Hi, I have a couple rowdy boys myself...:D
ReplyDeleteI looked up tear mender and found it on Amazon, easy enough but I am curious do you think this works better than sewing the patch? Does it last longer?
Hello, Tribalmama - I don't mind patching larger jeans like my husband's, that you can get the sewing machine into, which is no doubt ideal. Sewn patches, if the thread isn't bad! do probably last somewhat longer. But the glued patches dolast over a year (if applied well) and take a fraction of the time to glue instead of sew.
ReplyDeleteOn boys jeans is where tearmender really shines. I don't know what else to do for little legs. My hand sewing didn't hold up to the daily knee grind. Tear Mender holds up to washing and really rough wear. I've been doing this for a few years now.
Amazon is the best way to go in purchasing this product! Farm supply stores do carry it also, as well as fabric stores (most of the time in small more expensive bottles).
Wow! I have GOT to find some of this stuff! I have a mending pile that is bigger than the non-mending pile right now.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of this stuff before! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis has to be a must-read for anyone with boys- what a great idea, they retain their cool and the jeans last longer- brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this with us on Natural Mothers Network!
ReplyDeleteI am really looking forward to hosting the Seasonal Celebration Linky Party #7 going live tomorrow and hope you'll pop over sometime-you're always welcome!
http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/category/seasonal-celebration-sunday/ Have a great weekend!
Rebecca x
You just save 4 pair of pants that I was seriously thinking of dumping. Do you know if you can get this product in any part of the company? I live in WI.
ReplyDeleteThe places where I have heard to sell Tearmender are Farm and Fleet/Town and Country farm stores, Joanne Fabrics, and the best in my opinion is on-line through Amazon. Sometime you can get free shipping and you also have a selection of sizes for better prices. May you have the coolest jeans in town!
ReplyDeleteYou can also buy this at Tractor Supply stores. Going to get some tomorrow to try it on my little man's jeans-ripped knees within a month!!
ReplyDelete