Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sprouted Lentils

   I was filling my grain jars the other day and ended up with about a cup of lentils that wouldn't fit. I have been wanting to try sprouting lentils, but I don't like sprouted mung beans so I wasn't  too anxious  to start. Anyhow I did give them a try and they are delicious!

  The nutritional content of a seed is at its highest when in germination, hence the health nut notion that sprouts are good for you: its for real. Maybe sprouts in general are an acquired taste, but if you are a vegetarian you should acquire a taste for lentils, especially sprouted, and even if you're not they have an amazing amount of nutrition. I started looking and founds loads of information on lentils that has encouraged me to use them more.



So here we are sprouting lentils:

      I put a  over a cup of dry lentils in a half gallon jar- quart  jar would do for half the amount of sprouts.  I filled the jar half full of water and set aside for 24 hours.


   If you don't have a sprouting lid ( which is made for a wide mouth mason jar) you can make your own straining lid by cutting a circle of screen and a regular jar ring. We've had this in the family for years. I was looking closely wondering what kind of metal it was. Most screen now is nylon- that would work too, it just isn't as stiff.




     After 24 hours rinse the beans very well twice a day. and let drain completely after each rinsing. This is basically the way we do all our sprouts except I will use the different sized lids. Clover seeds are so small, the screen works best for them.

    In about 4 or 5 days you'll have sprouts. The smaller the seed the less time it takes. Well, maybe not,  garlic seeds take a lot longer than say, red clover,  so beware of fancy mixes.

   Then I take a handful of sprouts, dash on some spices and ranch type dressing, sweet onion, and dried cranberries, it is thoroughly enjoyed.





Linked Up with Natural Mothers Network

1 comment:

  1. Aren't they just the best nutritional live food to enjoy during winter?!
    Thank you for sharing this post too!

    ReplyDelete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog