When it comes to history, I'm on it. If I don't know about it I've got a supply of books that will tell me right away. Science is about the same way, you can never learn enough science, and I'm all ears to new facts.
On the other hand, when a math problem isn't understood, I do a few things like: jerk impatiently at the book, flap the pages about, hoping for some large print to pop out and explain it all in Jessica speak. As that never seems to happen, and my eyes are beginning to glaze, I grab up the answer key, work it backwards and eventually get it...until the other day, in the beginning of Pre-Algebra. All three of our noggins together scratching out the figures, guessing at missing figures until we each had an idea: a hit and miss kind of approach...ok, you called me? No, that isn't how math is, it is exact, and it is concrete, and it is perfect...I was out on a walk when these things were supposed to be developing in my brain. But because of this lacking of mine, I have room for other things - like history. Remember a while ago when someone told you about a site to go to for math instruction? Oh yes and here it is! And best of all there are other amazing subjects covered as well!
Don't tell me that you've already known about it for years now and kept it to yourself!
Yes, the kids, with the instruction, worked the "problem" out and then explained it to me.
The other site which has been a super help to us, as I did not have this luxury in backwoods West Virginia is:
No excuses, they are as free as you can get.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What Do You Think?