When you read this remember that these are general statements about a large group of people. They will not be true for every one, but they tend to be true in many situations.
Indian
· Emphasis is placed on age
· Excellence is related to a contribution to the group not the personal glory
· Children participate in adult activities
· Family life includes the extended family
· Clock time is whenever people are ready; when everyone arrives
· People express their ideas and feelings through actions
· Present Orientation
· Giving, sharing
· Patience
· Listening Skills
· Religion a way of life
· Modesty
· Work limited to meeting the needs of the family
· Harmony with Nature
Non Indian
· Emphasis is place on youth
· Competition and striving to win or to gain status is emphasized
· Adults participate in youth activities
· Family includes the Nuclear family
· Clock time is exactly that; start
when the clock says it’s time to start.
· People express themselves and attempt to impress others through their speech
· Future Orientation
· Taking, saving
· Aggression
· Verbal Skills
· Religion a segment/pan of life
· Self-attention
· Work is focused on getting ahead or getting rich
· Mastery over Nature
I
tried to have these comparisons set side by side for easier reading,
but I am computer challenged in this area and quite simply ran out of
time.
But
since I am making thoughtful personal lists in my mind I couldn't help
but share this list too. I think what most impacts me about these comparisons isn't whether they are Indian or non Indian, it is the opposite affect that the other has, and how I relate to it.
Observe the emphasis on the youth and the setting aside of old age and
wisdom. The over importance of status over integrity. Set the racial
aspect aside, because as Americans we share such a wide degree of these
characteristics, Indian or not, but see these values as a part of a
person and what makes them unique...not superior or inferior. Seeing the
opposite of each one value really makes me more aware of how I might be
perceived and my attraction to the people around me.
Take some time to access yourself, your family , and fellow man.
very thought provoking! I have to agree with the post you wrote and it makes me think about how I conduct my life and how I perceive others....and how I want to be perceived by others!
ReplyDelete