Thursday, March 28, 2013

Start your Own Seedlings: Is it Worth It?

I think so. But I think that doing everything myself is going to cost less. And that isn't always the case.
 It means a lot to me to see each seed as it goes into the dirt, thinking about it's outcome and where in the garden I plan to set it's roots down, pleasantly remembering the mistakes and successes from the year before, and as always trying to answer a million questions from the kids. I decided this year as I was dropping the little tiny seeds into the dirt that I'd see if this actually was cost effective and not just self gratifying.
It is a bit of work to do. I don't really consider my hours when I do a project like this, so I am not going to count the cost for my time. But my time did consist of:
  •  Considerable time spent choosing the right seed catalog that was at least reasonable and most natural.
  •  Choosing the right potting soil - freaking out after reading the ingredients on some of my choices - opting for the organic. (note: potting soil not seed starter mixes - an unnecessary feature).
  • Bleaching the pot trays, recycled pots, and seedling trays.
  • Filling the seedling tray with dirt and doing actual first planting.
  • Setting up the lights and trying to be agreeable with spouse, direct but not too bossy...this was so hard and took lots of time.
  • Watering and checking several times a day - the light shelf is placed in a well trafficked area, I didn't have to go out of my way to peek in on things.
  • Adjusting lights and daily brushing new plants as growth occurs.
  • Panicking as the growth was fast and the need to transplant to bigger happened at a bad time, resulting in one batch out of 4 tomato plants to be very leggy.
  • Transplanting. That is the point I am now. I ran out of pots and started on with the news paper cups. By the way these really last, as long as you don't handle them too much when they are wet.

The Monetary Cost:
I will use a simple example. Organic Amish Paste Tomatoes. Very basic and not too unique.
Start up cost ~
Seed packet(35 seeds):        $2.50 (plus postage + $ .65)
Potting soil (16 dry qrts):   $5.00  (way more than needed for 35 seeds!)
Lights and Bulbs:          $13.50 x2 (this would be unnecessary if you have a sunny window!)
Pots:                                       Free
Total start up cost:              $34.50

Light Set-up                                        $ .77
Each plant cost:                                  $ .05
Each pot (after transplanting) :        $ .06
Total actual cost per plant:          $30.00 for 35 tomato plants
   
Wait! The following years you wont need to buy the lights!
Sounds ok, how about next year: 11 pennies a plant! That's $3.85 to grow 35 plants.

Of course you have to take in account the losses that happen with kids and myself poking, dumping, dropping seed packets, no germination, etc., add the postage if you mail order. Oh, and the electricity running the lights (I'll check the light bill next month), did I miss anything?

I cut my cost down a bit more by planting several per pot (maybe 3 or more plants per 2cups of soil). Tomatoes can handle a crowding, and if they look poor, there's nothing like some manure tea to perk them up real fine. The cabbage family plants will be going into the ground very soon anyhow, they can hang in the same pot for a few weeks or less. Now the peppers I'm so sure about, I'll give them some room. They are the last to need to transplant so I may or may not crowd, depends on how much potting soil I have left! I'm flaky that way.
What do you think? Is it worth it? Not everybody has the time or space, but what if you did? And also not every one likes doing stuff like this either. Ok, it's my cup of tea, and at least now I know I'm not wasting my time!

 Read about others starting up Spring on their Homestead!
The Prairie HomeStead Barn Hop #105 

6 comments:

  1. Inspiriring.... I have got to get busy.....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got some seeds started but I'm feeling a little uneasy as some have not yet germinated (past due)... It is my first year starting seeds and a house of our own to have a garden, so we are definitely experimenting. Interesting that you mention using potting soil instead of starting mix... Might have to look into that. PS What's the latest on your illustrating endeavor??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael- you already are busy!

    Jeremiah- Try taking a toothpick and lifting the soil around your seeds that haven't sprouted yet and see if maybe they just got buried a little deeper - if that's the case they'll pop up soon. Seed quality and age affects germination seriously.
    Peppers and eggplant take longer to germinate than tomatoes and cabbage family seeds.
    I always hold back a few seeds from a packet just in case I need to replant for on reason or another.
    BTW you and your wife were expecting?
    About the illustrating project - my patron has too many irons in the fire and just as well, I do to. It seems like this project may take a few years! I am 3/4 of the way thru and haven't worked on anything for months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good suggestion about the tooth pick, I will have to try that today. Thanks!

    We were expecting and were blessed with a baby girl almost a year ago this May, Lucia Mae (loo-see-uh). Time flies! I'm surprised you remembered. We might be expecting now again (shhhh, we aren't sure yet and haven't made any announcements ;)

    That's too bad about the book taking so long, a teaser post would be appreciated.

    Blessings to you and yours,

    Jeremiah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started seeds today. Both veggies and flowers. I don't know if it's worth it monetarily but I love to do it. So that counts with the satisfaction I get! I love your site. I just found it through Homestead Barnhop and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley- good luck on your seed starting and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog