Farmer's Market is over and I'm also thinking about getting my act back together (somehow - as if I had it together in the first place) and trying to get things done. That mostly means getting a fall garden started (a little late) and setting the hoop house back up. Oh, and starting school. I do have that all planned out in various notebooks scattered throughout the house, now just to put it in action!
It is a little funny how we all had this "when the market is over we'll..." phrase. Down the line everyone is reminding each other of our pre market-being-over plans.
- Starting school (Mama)
- Going to Cosi (a science museum)- after all we did get a membership (Kids)
- Start working in the office again (Papa to Mama)
- Redo the chore list (Mama to Kids)
- A fence line without trees laying over it (Goats to Lazy Owners)
- Husbands (Goats to Lazy Owners)
- Take us to the auction we are tired of laying eggs for you (Chickens to Lazy Owners)
- A clothes line back up (Mama to Papa)
- ok you get the idea...no one is ever going to be without something to call them Needy (Mama)
Now that the market is over I thought that I would give a brief evaluation of our experience:
For the last one I finally did turn off the oven 10 minutes before midnight.
We had 3 months practice with trial and error, good ideas and lousy ones to see if we could do it!
And I knew it, when it was all over I would get the hang of it at last, sort of!
The market took our Saturdays. I am not sure that I like that. Saturdays are our project days where we work our farm and make improvements. Improvements didn't happen, but here like with the baking it is time management and practicing it.
It was profitable in more ways than just making money. It was very hard work and took our time but it was a real learning curve for the whole family, we all worked together - like it or not. We also made many new friends. I just wish that I took more time to write people's names down. The blessings are many.
While I am happy that it is over, I think we will do this again next year.
With what we learned: our limitations and feasible expectations, it could go a lot smoother and take less energy to pull together - next year.
I didn't make the best of my garden this year, but I shared generously with the animals and squash bugs.
Well weeded or grossly neglected the squash were found and killed by the horrible wretches. I'm convinced that I will never ever grow winter squash this side of Heaven.
Peppers are waiting for me and the tomatoes to make salsa, can't forget that!
And I think I satisfied myself with eggplant this year, it did well and still wants to grow.
Next year a new garden challenge: plans to clear some of the woods back and extend our hoophouse area/ garden here at the house for easier access and maintenance (we currently do the big garden in our neighbor's sunny field). It was obvious that I wasn't managing very well with keeping up with both lots.
Since I have our school plans made I'll be organizing them here in a few days as well as a sourdough update. I miss blogging and it's therapeutic results. I had to contend with blogging in my head for too long!
I'm a regular customer at my local farmers market, but when we move to our new farm, I hope to become a vendor. It probably won't happen until the second year, but we'll see. I think that the set up and packing up must be the hardest part. At least you have your little ones helping you, although maybe not always cheerfully ;-).
ReplyDeleteI think the bread baking must add a lot of pressure, since it can only be done at the last minute to be as fresh as possible. Maybe you will consider substituting some other product to make it easier on yourself?
Re: the gardens...I sympathize with you. Mine has been a jungle this year and I wasn't as diligent as I usually am (sigh). But there's always next year. Hang in there! You are getting so much accomplished, try not to be so hard on yourself. Sometimes we plan to do too much and it can be overwhelming. I know!