Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What Am I Trying To Prove...

  Last week we really cleaned house. I needed to do a spring cleaning anyhow, but Abigail turned 12 and I needed to feel comfortable with my mess before we had the bonfire. You know, in case someone came inside for a drink or something. Nevermind the fact that 20 + kids were running up, down stairs, in and out of the house! Proven recipe for house trashing.

  Anyhow the whole while I was trying to make myself comfortable with my mess, I was thinking: so what? Am I trying to pretend  that I really keep things together?
  No, otherself insists, you are spring cleaning, it just happens to happen right before a birthday party.     
  You're  a fake, Oneself declared, this will last a few hours and you wont be able to tell a vacuum came within 1 mile. You know you can't keep up this facade! 
  Otherself mumbles, You used to love cleaning house, now look! She keeps scrubbing, maniacally, only looking 2'' ahead, it's her method to keep from getting overwhelmed. Suddenly, after 25 years (of actual caring about clean), she realizes that no one else really cares and this really isn't very fun anymore. She sits up and is decidedly bored with house cleaning. How can I stop? Otherself despairs quietly.  There is no end, and how deep into this mess do I go?
 There is no end, Oneself announced, I will do this until I fall over dead, unless something changes. 

 It must be in the air because I had a message on facebook this morning to join a 
June Daily Challenge. 
Everyday starting June 1st. we will be doing something creative every day, and sharing it. Setting aside the frantic, desperate, fruitless attempts to keeping a house immaculate, delving back into the things that gave us joy before we fell into this bottomless pit.  
 Sewing (mending doesn't count!), baking beautiful things, trying outlandish recipes (that take up more time than you were allotted before). 
Flower gardening (vegetables don't count). Paint that mural on the chicken house. 
How about all those antique chairs in the barn loft that need new seats! Hurray! 
Actually life may become richer, fuller, messier in a beautiful way. Less time spent fooling around doing sudoko puzzles because you can't stand another pile of mismatched socks, let them stay in the basket shoved under the table! Does my neighbor care?
That's ok, if it's pancakes for supper every night. Because what if the next day I'm making my own ravioli with goat cheese in sauce that has simmered 4 hours. Menus flung out the window, chore carts set aside, Lets allow ourselves to be creative and accept things the way they are: messy and full. 
Yes we will still weed the garden, milk the goats, wash the dishes and laundry, and, dear husband, I will still hold the fort down, it just might be a disaster at times, but hey, as long as supper's good and we are all smiling- I know that that's what really makes you glad to be home.

5 comments:

  1. YAY!!! we will be creative in our messy houses together!! I am actually excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO LOVE this post!!!! Enjoy being creative and enjoying the things that give you pleasure! Sometimes it is easy to get so obsessed with the work that needs to get done, we forget to enjoy things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I just caught up on your blog, at long last, while doing marathon sourdough baking.

    First of all, LOL @ the above! I so am right there with you on the internal discussion on cleaning!!

    Secondly, thanks again so much for the Liebster! Now that I've caught up on your blog, I know what it is. I'll try to remember to do my part of it early next week, after I recover from this weekend's market.

    And I must check out those other blogs you mentioned! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN sister! Keep your head up and live it up! Before you know it those kids will be gone and you'll have all the time in the world to clean. Enjoy them and your life as much as you can!!! I'm in the lessons learned phase as well and it is so nice to know there are others who are coming to this same place in life. Keep on, keeping on my friend!

    ReplyDelete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog