Christmas is over...I breath a sigh of relief. I'm not into the holidays, They really stress me. When I was growing up we didn't have Christmas, and then when Bryon and I got married I felt the pressure from the in-laws about my Christmas performance and lack thereof. 14 years later, I swallow the nervousness, put all Christmas related activities off to the very last second, and focus on the kids. A real BAH, HUMBUG. I understand what this season is supposed to be all about, it's just hard for me to want to participate in the materialism Christmas generates. I should realize that if I bought a few little treats for the children waaaay before the last minute, I wouldn't be participating, nor would I be so nervous if I was going to live up to everyone's expectations. No one to blame but me. In spite of me, we had a really nice day with our family, eating to much and making way to many pots of coffee! Fortunately I forgot to buy the bag of smarties for the kids stockings, so the sugar was down.
The highlight of December was my mother coming up from West Virginia for the winter. It is so nice to have my mom so close (Bryon built her a small apartment in the shop-equipped with woodstove, running water, tiny bathroom and internet access!). I try not to think of how helpful she is, like always folding every piece of laundry, and keeping the floor swept, and washing dishes, and babysitting on workday, and having the house clean and supper made when I get home...but how much I enjoy her company. She was here only two weeks when Granny got sick and needed my mom. Within 2hrs she was gone, taking Nathanial with her. Nathanial declared that he would not be sad about missing Christmas.And he would take school books with him, we didn't know how long they would be gone. A wordy explanation for one stock remaining hanging. So, they got back today, maybe we all can settle down now, Granny will be ok.
The weather here has been so mild! It's actually disappointing. I was hoping to be snowed in by now and I doubt if has even made it below freezing, I'm still slopping through the mud to the barn. The ducks are having fun tho! The animals are probably relieved, I notice this when Millie (a goat in a cow suit) doesn't show any signs of wanting to dry up. We still get a half gallon of milk a day. I had planned to have all the "girls" dried up by the end of the month. As far as I'm concerned winter can start any day now! I'll admit it, I love the snow, for many reasons, but a very important one is that is covers all the mud.
Next week we will be getting back into our usual routine with school, blogging, Chipps Plumbing, laundry, and mopping up mud. This weekend in my freetime I'll be doing my favorite New Years project- Chipps Family 2012 plans and goals. Garden planning, I'm thinking, just thinking, about trying out a CSA. I think I would really love doing this, Bryon is leery, wise man, I get wild hair brained ideas, he needs to level me out sometimes,I have to do that for him too. We have some dietary changes in mind and I need to get back on the ball with meal planning. All this and much more, I'll probably have to blog about it all.
Great job, blogging! I have been thinking of you today. Take care...
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughts Suzanne! Take care, too!
ReplyDeleteI wish we had snow too but I can't wait till I can have that plumber over here to run my ideas by! He better hurry, I have money wanting to burn a hole in my pocket too!! ;)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete