Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Seitan II: Wheat Meat Sausage

  I took a long time in getting to this one!
  A warning: this blog will take time and energy just to read! If you are interested in making a no-meat sausage this could be worth your time, other wise move on to bigger and better things like folding laundry.
  This recipe is not my own but I did adapt it to what is in my cupboard, and my method of cooking: totally my own mess. I was really into this wheat gluten there for a while and jotted down so much stuff, the original got lost.


  Also do not be intimidated by the pots and tools I use, I realize that everyone doesn't have a father like I did that traveled to Mexico and brought back a set of huge enamel pots for his daughter's hope-chest, nor a talented sister who finds all our needs (and then some) at thrift stores. Improvise, get desperate to try something new and stick your neck out and wing it! Life is fun when it's abnormal.
Recipe:  
1/2 cup of mashed beans ( I prefer to use Navy Beans)
1 cup vegetable broth ( or 1 bullion cube to 1 cup warm water to dissolve or potato or greenbean broth)
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Maggi/ soy/tamari sauce
2 garlic cloves ( or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 1/4 cups wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp each of the following: (or any of your favorite "sausage" flavor spices) 
red pepper flakes
paprika (smoked is good, if you have it)
Italian seasoning
fennel
black pepper
oregano 

 Method: Add first five ingredients together, then add the nutritional yeast and gluten...
       Mix quickly and completely...


       Add the rest of the ingredients...
      Work the spices through as evenly as desired. I personally enjoy it when it isn't evenly mixed. The dough will be somewhat rubbery and clumpy, this is good and helps give it the right texture.
   Next I form individual patties or you can shape the dough into a log, wrap in tinfoil, and steam.
     Don't let the quantity frighten you, I quadruple the recipe and put some in the freezer after they've been steamed.







  


  With olive oil on my hands I smooth them over and put the patties into my bamboo steamer. It is OK if they are crowded they don't stick together with the olive oil coating.

  I put about a pint of water in the bottom of my biggest pot ( this holds 4 bamboo racks uncomfortably), then I set the lid on top and still wish my pot was 2'' taller, of course I could steam 2 at a time, but as you see it is after 5:00pm and I need to get supper done and cleaned up.
   Steam for 30 min. They are ready now to use.
















    This is where the homemade sauerkraut make its entrance! Crisp fry the patties, not in too much oil, turn off heat and add the sauerkraut. Stir around in the pan to catch up all the seasonings and a bit of the oil just long enough to warm up.That is just our favorite way to use the sausage.
   I freeze any extra. Keep refrigerated up to a week.




I linked up with Raising Homemakers
 this week!

1 comment:

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog