You may remember him as Lanny Jarvis, the musician, bass player, or Langdon Jarvis, the artist, chair-maker, worker of rhododendron. I, my sister, as well as many of my school friends, remember him as Papa. He passed away, this month, a year ago.
Loved and hated no one could deny that Lanny Jarvis knew how to bring rhododendron out from the Woods. He had a special way of appreciating nature, and was inspired to work with the wood, never against it. His personality was difficult to understand and accept by some because of this intuition. An artificial spirit could never get by him without some critisism. But that is what made him an artist and gave him that love for perfection. Langdon was one of the many talented twig meisters of West Virginia. His work can be seen as part of the Cultural Center in Charleston where he takes his place beside his fellow artists, each one unique, demonstrating their love for the beauty of this state.
While woodworking was mainly done alone with his family, his music was something he shared with his friends. Lanny admired a good musician and was admired by many, as well, because of his talents. He had very close friends through his music and I know that he is missed by them. Music was the last part of his life, and before he died at least he could still pick up his guitar. In the quiet of the morning before the sun came up, I can still hear him singing, “Now, is the needed time”.
In his memory, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect in appreciation upon a few of my father's accomplishments and passions as a wood worker and musician, and, that he did contibute to some of what makes West Virginia almost Heaven.




I love MAMA sooooooooooooooooooooooo much
ReplyDeleteLOVE ABIGAIL
Love this... perfectly said Jessica..
ReplyDeleteHaggy Housewife
Am sad to hear . . . remembering those days of our youth in Georgetown, tagging around with you and Chris Zaloom and the gang. Am happy you ended in such a beautiful place creating incredibly beautiful objects, with family. Would like to think you were wearing the ring I gave you throughout your life. Peace Lanny. Virginia
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting Virginia. Yes, the ring you mention was kept in the family treasure box, if asked about it was said to have come from one of Papa's old girlfriends! Good to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteKnowing this man was indeed a pleasure. He could set for hours and tell you stories of his life that was totally amazing. I wish I could have learned half of the things that he could do with his bare hands. He made some of the most beautiful furniture I have ever seen. I have a bench that he had made out of mountain laurel and a popular log ( I cherish it so ). Him and his wife were/are one of if not the best neighbor a person could ever have , they would give you the shirt off their backs
ReplyDeleteRest in peace Lanny we miss you so
Thank you for your remembrance.
ReplyDelete