The pantry shelves are filling up, and it's a satisfying feeling. Canning is just pretty. As much as I would love a root cellar to put our harvest in at least we can admire all our hard work set up on a shelf. There are still a few things yet to do. I am debating still on whether to can the sweet potatoes or try and store them. Our wood stove is in the basement and there really isn't a cool place in the house once that thing gets cranked up ( oh, for a root cellar). A frost and cool weather has taken care of the worms and aphids that invaded my fall kale, I think that it is safe to harvest now. I had picked quite a bit already but I couldn't remove all of the bugs, I gave up and the goats got kale for lunch. Yeah, I know, extra protein, but my motivation turned to other things at the thought of kale. It's fine though now, kale loves cool weather and looks beautiful. Our sampling (bug free) for supper got great ratings with everyone, so with renewed ambition I'll harvest the kale!
It's time also to get really serious about more firewood. I hear chainsaws all over and they aren't ours...makes me feel a bit anxious. I am so glad the children are older and help so well, never more can you see the benefit of many hands as when getting in the firewood.
Our homeschool has been slightly unorganized. It seems like that happens this time of year. But never the less some is better than none. I'm really liking what we are doing so far, I'm happy with the variety we are doing too. We are going to make an effort to do our own art lessons. Someone gave me a curriculum, which at first seemed somewhat over simplified ( Art with a Purpose) but the more I looked at it there are a lot of technical parts of art that I lacked experience in. I'm learning about my new little students too. You really get to know your children when you are teaching them to read. Very trying at times but so rewarding when there is a breakthrough in understanding, on my part and theirs! I am able to spend more time with the little fellas now that the older ones can work independently. We just need to work on all the interrupting, maybe I should have them raise their hands. And Timothy, well, as long as he has plenty of "vroooms" to play with, he's OK.
Speaking of Timothy (19 months), summertime potty training has paid off. He hasn't completely graduated yet, we still have to put him on the toilet, but he lets us know when he needs to go and I seldom remind him anymore. So as far as I'm concerned he has graduated. I am completely for early potty training. I loaned the infant potty training book to a friend who had a baby this spring. She is having great success, I am proud of her for even giving it a try. I just wish that I had known about the method earlier with Timothy and the others. To each his own, right?
Nathanial keeps working and now has another employer. A friend of ours bought a forge and Nathanial is helping him put up a building for the work area. I am really hoping that Nathanial can pick up something on the black-smithing, seeing that there is an opportunity of being around it. Our boys need physical labor, they need to sweat, and use their muscles, which in turn generates more oxygen to the brain, you see, I have a plan for the "teen" years, and excuse me, I shouldn't even have used that term. And Jeremiah, he wants nothing more than a job to "make money", he's my real worker. I keep telling him that he needs to get a little older to be able to prove himself as a reliable helper.
Well, it's fall cleaning time, spiders be gone! I'm taking one room at a time, going through every drawer, shelf and pile. Windows getting washed, ceiling and walls washed down, furniture rearranged to fit better, and bags and boxes hauled out and properly disposed of. Another good feeling: filling the pantry and decluttering the rest of the house. I might even paint the bathroom, depends how motivated I am when I get to that room. Oh and speaking of a bathroom, does anyone know a good plumber? I already told the dear man that some lady needs two new toilet seats, one tub faucet leak repair, and a new flush handle...he said, "Good." I've never plugged a drain or asked for new fixtures, but my, we go through toilet seats and flush handles!
So as it is, getting ready for winter. This week would be a good time to get a few things done, it is so beautiful outside now.

You've inspired me to get busy! I am so tired of seeing piles of papersbookssocksplates in my dinning room... I just now need to make lists.. and then sit around and rewrite them.. read them over again... rewrite for the 4th time.. and then maybe by the time Mama comes I will have cleaned up behind that stack of books in front of the pile of papers next to the bags of candy wrappers.
ReplyDeleteYour shelves of canned goods are a thing of beauty! I think I would want to stand all day and just look at them:) I just found your blog from The Modest Mom and will be back again!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Glad to be an inspiration there Haggy!
ReplyDeleteAnd KellyinPa, thanks for visiting and commenting! Come back soon. Yes, I too, often stop and admire our sweat and toil in the shape of canning!
next year you will have to fill up a whole shelf of that yummy kale. i absolutely crave it~
ReplyDelete