What do you
cook when your kitchen has soared to 85 degrees? Nothing, if you can get out of it. But I didn't have bread made for sandwiches either- rue the thought of turning that oven on. Sushi and eggrolls were an add-in on the menu this month, just in case a meal that was planned wasn't going to work. The kids thought that it was a good idea, but I wasn't about to make egg rolls and stand over the hot fire and fry them. Some of my children are more enthusiastic about sushi than others, so I was a little concerned about filling everyone up. There were peaches ripening on the deck if all else failed.
This is is one meal that can be custom made without trouble which makes it more fun for everyone. One pot, one burner, way ahead of time and a lot of chopping. It is one dish that requires many pre- made ingredients, I'm not likely going to be harvesting seaweed in Ohio, but I would like to make my one wasabi sauce, and pickled ginger, someday.
I found some of these ingredients Walmart, but some of them like the brown sticky-rice (short grained) and Tamari sauce I bought at Meijers. When we ate meat one of my favorite fillings was smoked salmon, but avocado is tops. Some people like cream cheese and cucumber. One of the nice things about sushi is how aesthetically appealing it is, and like burritos and pizza, your way is the right way! Well, that's the way I like it!

- Make your rice ahead of time and allow to cool completely. I use brown short grain rice, because, that is what I do ( ppssst...it's A LOT better for you!). The white (debranned, degermed, processed) version is called Sushi rice. Follow instructions on the bag or use the formula: for every cup of rice cook with 2 1/2 cups water. No salt. Brown rice: 40 min. then turn the heat off and let set 10 more-don't open the lid. White rice: 20 min. then same as brown. I season the rice when it's hot- it melts the sugar and salt. Rice Seasoning: Start with 1 Tbs salt, 3 Tbs sugar(any kind), 3 Tbs rice vinegar. Taste it, then you're on your own. White rice is so bland you get the taste right away, brown rice has a flavor of it's own and it depends on how much of it you want to overcome. Allow to cool.
- Chop, Julianne, sliver, and slice: all the vegetable of your dreams, into sizable proportions to your stomach of course.
- Your Sushi Station:
- Apply the Rice: Have a bowl of water nearby, it is easier to handle the rice with very wet hands. Lay the wrap shiny(smooth) side down. Just take a lump (3/4 cup size?) and spread ( press) it evenly over middle surface of the nori wrap up to about 1 inch from top- to seal roll.
- Fill and Roll:
 |
| Don't add too many veggies where it makes it hard to roll. |
 |
| With BOTH hands (no camera) pick up bottom edge and lift over the veggie pile. |
 |
| Firmly and smoothly press around filling. |
 |
| Roll to the end of the rice, pressing firmly, but take care not to bust the wrap. |
 |
| Wet your hands and pat the along the edge to seal, then finish rolling. |
 |
| Cut your sushi rolls into yummy bite size pieces with a serrated knife. Serve with a pile of pickled ginger, a knock -your-socks-off dollop of wasabi sauce, and dash of tamari sauce. |
Never be afraid of your Sushi cravings again, make it your self!
I've never liked the idea of sushi...but yours actually sounds pretty good (no raw fish helps!) Might have to try this one day ;)
ReplyDeleteI began a sushi craving when I tried it while I was pregnant, the taste never left me. The nori wraps taste a little fishy but strangely that is appealing!
ReplyDelete