We have burritos (bu`rry-toes) every week: easy, quick, filling, cheap, less mess, etc. Now, it does take more time but I feel like its the right thing and (often more importantly) the flavor beats store-bought no comparison! Abigail and I put together 4 recipes (took about 10 minutes) in the morning, let them set (grain soaking) all day until just before suppertime then we pumped out 48 tortillas in less than an hour.
I really think that the trick is all the yummy fat that this recipe calls for. So if you have issues with fat...I plan on posting a lower fat recipe update. Not because I'm worried about the amount consumed its just sometimes I don't have enough!
Sourdough Tortillas
1 recipe makes 12 tortillas
3/4 cup sourdough starter (this not necessarily leavening power as it is a flavor as well as an acid for grain soaking)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup of coconut oil (or lard if you like)
1/2 cup of hot water
Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Mix in sourdough starter.
Cut in the fats.
Stir in the hot water and form a dough ball.
Don't worry too much about making the dough tough by over mixing. Divide the dough into 12 round balls.
Cover and let rest 30 minutes or like me all day.
Cook about 1minute on either side. Toss the tortillas into a bowl with a lid on top. This keeps them soft and warm.
They roll up very well with few blowouts!
Ohhh these look so good! Funny thing is me and hubby were just talking about trying to make them, might have to goggle a bit as I don't have sourdough starter sitting around!
ReplyDeleteHannah C