Monday, March 17, 2014

Cooking with Whole Grains: Baked Cakes


This was suggested to me a while ago as I was searching for some different ideas for hot breakfasts. My kids love pancakes but I have started to dread pancake day. I don't always want to take the time to make them.   

























 BakeCakes
The recipe:
Preheat Oven to 400
2 1/2 cups of flour~ whole wheat, oat flour, oatmeal, spelt, cornmeal, etc. or blend!
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sweetener ~ honey, sugar, maple syrup etc.
2 tsp spices ~ pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg (just a tiny bit), imagination, etc.

  • Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. 
  • Generously butter/grease a cooky sheet.
  • In a separate bowl beat together:
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups kefir, buttermilk or other soured milk product
1 egg
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 cup of pumpkin puree (or more applesauce instead) 
1/2 cup melted fat ~ butter, coconut oil etc.

  • Mix into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
  • Soak this overnight in the refrigerator first or go ahead and:
  • Pour into greased cookie sheet 
  • Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
  • Or come to our house on Saturday mornings. It's usually bakecakes or waffles!

To feed 8 big eaters I double this recipe.


2 comments:

  1. Is this the same texture as a cake? Or the sweetness? Perfect kind of food for our big crew. Do you put syrup on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri. Maybe, a lighter sort of pancake, yes, kind of cakey. I've been making a real big effort to drop some sugar so I've been insisting on applesauce instead of syrup, but syrup is yummy. The bake cakes are not very sweet.

      Delete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog