Monday, January 7, 2013

Cooking With Whole Grains: Millet For Breakfast

This is a family favorite and it is what is for breakfast on Mondays. We fix it up with our favorite hot cereal additions: like butter, maple syrup, honey, agave nectar...ok, ok, we just use natural sugar for now. We started this years ago on one of my anti cold cereal campaigns and it has been a staple ever since.
 Millet is a gluten free, high protein, very nutritional part of our whole grain diet. The cooking method makes it a bit unhandy for soaking, so I usually cop out on this- bummer, this means I really can't claim I get all the vitamins and minerals it has to offer. But if I were more with-it I would do this:

  1. Soak 2 cups of millet covered in water with 2 Tbs of  a natural acid  (lemon juice, whey, kefir, vinegar, yogurt...etc.) for 12 to 24 hours.
  2. Rinse and drain well
  3. 3 Tbs of  coconut oil (olive imparts an undesirable flavor)  into a 2 to 4 quart pot on med. high heat. ( start here if you aren't soaking your grains)
  4. Add millet ( the dryer the millet is - the less sputtering) and toast, constantly stirring, until a wonderful popcorn like aroma permeates the kitchen. Some of the millet seeds may even pop like popcorn.
  5.  Just before it browns: add about 6 cups of water. Have the lid handy as this can make a mess.
  6. When the water settles down add 1 tsp of salt. 
  7. Cook for 20 minutes or until the millet is fluffy and soft.
 Any left overs from breakfast I use as for filler in a bean burgers or millet loaf. Cooked millet has a gelatinous quality and works great as a binder in these recipes, especially if you aren't using eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Why do you add the natural acid when soaking the millet? I soak mine overnight and cook it in the morning? I don't toast mine..Thank you for the post. I love the smiles on the family picture!! Love,

    ReplyDelete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog