Sunday, March 11, 2012

Raising Ideas and Seeds


I can see myself becoming quieter on my blog and louder a home. Especially if last week was an example of what's ahead! I really like it that Bryon is adventurous and willing to try out an idea. And this is something I've dreamed of doing- a green house, or at least a hoop house. Once the ground is dry enough we will til up our old garden patch and set up the hoop house there. One thing at a time, OK, I haven't filled out the application for the farmers market yet but that's next week.

We were blessed by thoughtful friends who  knew of an unused light-hut and passed it along to us. This has been so nice, as the basement can get cool this time of year (to light a fire, or not to light a fire, that is the question), to hold in the warmth. So, Thank you, Naomi!

Seeds ordered. I had quite a bit from saving my own seeds last year but I wanted to try out some new goodies. I chose Gurneys because of the $25 coupon, then Shumway's because...the catalog is so beautiful! Really because they have a large selection of heirloom seeds at a cost I could consider. The Seed Savers Exchange? Well, it is where I wish I could have done all my shopping.




I then pre- germinated my seeds. I did this mainly to see if the ones that I saved were any good. And then I've heard that it speeds the germination along. Well, I also saw that to keep the tray warm: have it set on a coil of light rope light. My problem came along when it got too hot and I forgot to water them a few times. I then panicked and re-planted. I think I will scratch this idea next time. I was amazed that most of them did come up but no sooner than my re-plants did.

To keep the cost down we made our own pots. I had my father-in-law help me collect piles of news papers for this project. I enjoyed this, but it took longer than I thought it should. We cut up yoghurt containers to use for for markers. I am really trying not to get every thing mixed up like I usually do. I want to separate the different kinds of tomatoes this year.


     In the pots are: Romanesco Broccoli, regular broccoli, Jersey Wakefield cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, eggplant (the only hybrid seeds I have - bought by accident), Tomatoes: Early Czechoslovakian and Amish Paste, and Pinks. California Wonder Green Peppers, Sweet Banana Peppers, bunching onions, Romain and lettuce mixes, and Basil
I received a very valuable tip  concerning the leggy plants that the above two pictures display, then I confirmed it with an article from Mother Earth News...that I should of read before I started! To avoid this as I meant to: keep the lights suspended an inch or less over the seedlings. Raise the lights as they grow to keep this distance. The tiny plants do best receiving 14 to 18 hours of light per day. If you don't have a fan, gently brush the tops of your plants daily and watch how quickly the stems thicken and grow sturdier.
 Isn't this cool? Regrowing celery!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I could grow a big garden. I just don't get enough light in my yard. to many big oak trees. I'm going to have to move up to my roof.
    I'm curious about this celery regrowth..

    MOLLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just chopped the bottom off of the celery, leaving about two inches (normally I break the celery off, but to do this I needed the base) plunked it into one of my dirt pots. It takes awhile I guess, according to what I read.

    To bad about no sun, we barely have enough sun ourselves! without adding to the deforestation, we have to make do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how cool on the celery! Was that grown by you last year so it still had some roots on it? Or was it storebought celery? I've never seen roots on storebought so I'd never thought of doing that. Thanks!

    If I can offer a suggestion: Many of your seedlings look very, very leggy. To prevent that, to grow strong, stocky seedlings, you need to have those lights within an in or two (at most) of the seedlings. Also, keeping a fan blowing on them simulates outside breezes and makes them stronger. As well, if it gets too warm, they'll shoot up like that. I grow mine in my cool basement (after they germinate) and then get them outside anytime the temps go above 40 or so. (Except for peppers whose production can be permanently stunted by cool temps.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...so my hope that my seedlings will do better being warmer isn't really a good idea? I wondered about lowering the lights more, because they do look very leggy. Thanks for the tips. I've always had leggy starts in the beginning but they seem to be alright anyhow I had hope not to have that this time! As for the fan - got it! I usually brush the tops a few times a day, but I can tell where the fan is better.

    Celery...an Aldi's special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my! You are Super! I do NOT have a green thumb..as in anything I try to grow dies! I love this idea for the celery though! Definitely going to try that..I've been regrowing my green onions in water and that has been going wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeek! Now you have me panicking and nervous....I don't have the first seedling started yet! Seriously, they look beautiful, though. Starting inside is always so much harder to get them to come up robustly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can also use toilet paper tubes to start your seeds in. And for green onions, just place the bottom in a glass of water in a sunny spot and it will grow and you can start cutting from it right away. :)

    ReplyDelete

What Do You Think?

"Like" Us On Facebook For Updates on the Products and the Produce Available at Mosquito Creek Farm

,

Share

Search This Blog